Monday, September 17, 2012

Blog Posts from Phoenix

I was fortunate to be invited to an educational Institute this week.  Normally, I do not like to travel (I do not like time away from my family and the costs can be too much), but since the organization that is organizing the Institute is paying all of my expenses, I thought it might be worth looking into.  As I researched the agenda, I saw that the topics that will be discussed align well with some of our initiatives at Penn-Trafford.  Between the fact that the district would not have to pay anything for me to attend, and the fact that I believe I can learn something that will be beneficial for the school district, I decided to attend the Institute.  With topics on blended learning, personalized literacy, and district wide approach to online learning (as well as a session on the Common Core Curriculum), I anticipate that I will be able to add to the conversation while at the Institute and also bring important ideas back to PT.  There will be 65 superintendents from across the nation in attendance. Here is a brief explanation of the summit from one of their emails to me.

Superintendents Summit September 2012 in Phoenix, AZ will provide participants with opportunities for high-level networking and professional development in key topics related to K12 leadership, including technology, wellness, special education, curriculum and assessment, and business and finance.
This is an invitation-only event for a select group of superintendents who have been identified by their peers as leaders in their region or state. All expenses--including membership dues, travel, food and lodging--will be underwritten by the Institute.


I will tweet and blog from the Institute starting on Wednesday night.  I will share with you anything that is interesting as well as my reactions to the information and what it means for our school district. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for attending and we owe you for you time and leadership. All ideas are welcome. Since we are all about cost/benefit, how about keeping an eye open for ideas on how to prioritize new programs with respect payback, and how to plan with community support for future budgets and tax inceases/reductions? One idea is some type of categorizing of budget ideas like: Green: Well defined benefit at no cost increase or cost decrease; Yellow: well defined benefit but with cost increase requiring cost/benefit evaluation; Blue: undefined benefit and/or cost.

    ReplyDelete